11 Oct [ RECIPE ] Healthy Tahini – Rich Hummus Recipe
I LOVE HUMMUS!..who wouldn’t, after all chickpeas are prized for their high protein and fibre content and today I am sharing my healthy hummus recipe.
It’s delicious, its healthy, and you can pretty much eat it anytime you want, day or night.
My favourite way to enjoy hummus is to serve it with toasted pita bread, or simply with fresh carrot sticks.
This recipe is a basic hummus recipe, full of tahini which is why i love this recipe, but to vibe it up a bit, you can add some toasted cumin seeds, chopped coriander, or even some toasted pine nuts, finished with a splash of olive oil.
::::::::::: R E C I P E :::::::::::
250g dried chickpeas
1.5 litre water (for cooking the chickpeas in)
250g tahini paste
5 tbsp lemon juice (use fresh lemon if possible, more may be needed, up to you!)
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
4 cloves garlic (crushed well to a paste)
20ml extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
110ml ice cold water (this depends on what consistency you like)
- Rinse the chickpeas well and soak over night in a large bowl of cold tap water. Drain.
- Place a large saucepan of 1.5 litre water on stove top, add all the drained chickpeas, add the bicarbonate of soda and simmer on medium for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Skim off any floating foam from the surface. Once done they should be very tender and easy to bite, but they must not be too soft.
- Drain the chickpeas.
- Place all the chickpeas into the bowl of the food processor and process until you get a lovely thick paste consistency.
- Add the tahini paste, garlic, lemon juice and salt. Add the olive oil and then add some of the water until you are happy with the consistency. I would normally mix for about 4 minutes until your get a creamy paste-like appearance. Always taste, you may need to add more lemon juice or more salt.
- Transfer all the hummus into a airtight container and refrigerate as soon as possible, or until you would like to eat it.
Prep time: about 20 minutes
Before i go, please check out this web page, it has some real awesome healthy recipes on it, as well as some interesting articles about health and wellbeing, products and tips. http://www.thehealthychef.com
Keep checking our web page, our next blog is going to be awesome! http://justinelindsayfood.com/events-blog/
Chat soon, Justine